Many people breathe quickly, superficially, and through the mouth - this way of breathing keeps the body in a heightened state of alert. Nose breathing is better because it is protective, warming and filtering the air - it also stimulates the release of hormones and increases oxygenation throughout the body.
The diaphragmatic breathing technique, "breathing with the belly" and more deeply, calms the body and mind by involving the parasympathetic nervous system.
There are several positions where you can practice - while standing, sitting, on your back, on your stomach:
* place your hands on your stomach
* inhale through your nose and bring air to your belly
* try to separate your fingers with inspiration
* exhale more slowly through your nose, relaxing your belly
* repeat deep breaths effortlessly as long as you feel comfortable
Some benefits of deeper breathing:
* increases lung capacity
* decreases feelings of anxiety and stress
* improves sleep quality
* encourages the nervous system to relax and restore